Positioning of EEG electrodes
according to the international 10-20 electrode placement
The following longitudinal lines will be divided into10-20-20-20-20-10%
- From the Nasion to the Inion (longitudinal line).
- The lateral line from the left ear opening (A1)
to the right ear opening (A2) is the centre line
from Nasion to Inion.
- Three segments (10-20-20%) from frontalis and the
remaining three segments (10-20-20%) from
- The EEG electrodes configuration is according to
the 10-20% divisions (see illustration).
- The electrodes are placed on the centre
longitudinal line (Nasio-Inion) according to the
10-20% division as well as symmetrically with
equal spacing on its both sides.
- For adults, the spacing between electrodes is
approximately between 5 7 cm.
- The index of each electrode position correspond
to the correct anatomical index.
- Following this electrode placement scheme will
assure repeatability of the measurement.
- This electrode placement scheme can be simplified
by reducing the number of electrodes when the
head size is exceptionally small.
- The two electrode placement Pg1 and Pg2 will be
used in special cases (nose Esophagus) EEG
recordings. A special application electrode (nasopharyngeal
electrode) will be used in such special cases.
Copyright © 2004 - All rights reserved by Lazina med